The Palace of Parliament is one of the tour highlights. It is the world’s second-largest office building in surface (after the Pentagon) and the third largest in volume (after Cape Canaveral in the U.S. and the Great Pyramid in Egypt). The crystal chandelier in the Human Rights Hall weighs 2.5 tons. Some of the chandeliers have as many as 7,000 light bulbs. The building can be seen from the moon.
The Palace of Parliament it is the world’s second-largest office building in surface (after the Pentagon) and the third largest in volume (after Cape Canaveral in the U.S. and the Great Pyramid in Egypt).
The building was designed by a team of 400 architects, led by Anca Petrescu (she was only 28 years old then). Its construction started in 1983 (under the communist regime) and ended in 2006 (more than 15 years after the fall of communism in 1989). After the 1989 revolution its name was changed into The People’s House.
The building hosts 1000 chambers decorated with marble, wood, and impressive chandeliers (some have as many as 7,000 light bulbs). The crystal chandelier in the Human Rights Hall weighs 2.5 tons.
The Paliace of the Parlament can be seen from the moon. It is even bigger than Cheops’ Pyramid. These are a few of the reasons why this incredible building is worth visiting.
Set atop one of the city’s few hills, known as Mitropoliei Hill, the Metropolitan Church has been the center piece of the Romanian Orthodox faith since the 17th century. The church was built by Constantin Serban Basarab, ruler of the province of Walachia between 1656 and 1658, after a design inspired by the Curtea de Arges monastery.
It became the Metropolitan Church in 1668 and the seat of the Romanian Orthodox Church in 1925.
Initially built of wood in 1922 to honor the bravery of Romanian soldiers who fought in World War I, Bucharest’s very own Arc de Triomphe made of granite was finished in 1936. Designed by the architect Petre Antonescu, the Arc stands 85 feet high. An interior staircase allows visitors to climb to the top for a panoramic view of the city. The sculptures decorating the structure were created by leading Romanian artists, including Ion Jalea, Constantin Medrea and Constantin Baraschi.
Founded by royal decree in 1936, this fascinating outdoor museum, the largest in Europe, covers some 30 acres on the shores of Lake Herastrau in Herestrau Park. It features a collection of 50 buildings representing the history and design of Romania’s rural architecture. Steep-roofed peasant homes, thatched barns, log cabins, churches and watermills from all regions of the country were carefully taken apart, shipped to the museum and rebuilt in order to recreate the village setting.
Throughout the year, the Village Museum hosts special events where you will have a chance to witness folk artisans demonstrating traditional skills in weaving, pottery and other crafts. Folk arts and crafts are available at the museum gift shop.